Monday, November 05, 2007

Back home and freezing

So I'm back home after five hours on the train and a week in Marseille. In the last few days in Marseille we went to Aix-en-Provence, which is a lovely town with a wonderful atmosphere. The French say that you can find some of the most beautiful, well-dressed, well-educated people in Aix. It seemed true to me. Everything was so perfect, like a cross between St Andrews and York. The side-streets were actually interesting, not scary, and full of bookshops and bakeries. One bookshop was far bigger on the inside than seemed possible on the outside, and sold beautiful postcards.

In Aix we also found the most French cafe ever, where I had dark chocolate crepes with whipped cream. How come French people aren't fat? I never see anywhere selling beautifully presented salads, it's only ever ice cream or pastry.

Upon returning home, I managed to sign up for language classes. When I walked in to speak to the woman behind the desk and said I wanted to enroll classes to learn...erm... she immediately cut in with "French?!" So much for progress. However, once she learned that I actually could speak some French she was very helpful in finding Russian and Mandarin classes for me, so I'll be doing those on Mondays and Tuesdays. The Mandarin classes have already started and there's one tonight. I'm really looking forward to it, but at the same time it's a bit intimidating - will I manage to improve my Russian and Mandarin from French?

No comments: